On the 26th of February, 12:00, friendly match of Bavarian curling will take place in Raudondvaris Manor. The demonstration competition will have Latvian and Lithuanian teams. Everyone who is interested or wants to get acquainted with this winter sport, which is rapidly gaining popularity in the world and in Lithuania, is invited to come and watch the event live. After the competition there will be an opportunity to try this fun game for yourself.
Bavarian curling or also known as icestock is a winter sport similar to curling, dating back to the 16th century. This sport is especially popular in the Alpine region. It can be played on frozen lakes, ponds, ice arenas. This is a team game in which the goal of the athletes is to push the main tool of the game – a cone-shaped stone with a 30 cm high handle – as close to the target as possible. As a demonstration sport, Bavarian curling was first included in the program of the Winter Olympics in 1936, and again in 1964. This game is also popular in Lithuania – teams representing the country participate in the European Cup and European Youth Championships.
The event is organized by the project of Raudondvaris Manor and Bauska Castle Museum “Historic Road: Raudondvaris-Bauska (LLI-498)” in cooperation with sport club “Forsarus”, Lithuania’s Curling Federation and Lithuania’s Bavarian Curling Association. Project aims to attract more visitors to Kaunas District and Bauska region during the cold season with new cultural, art and sports activities.
The event is free.
- Project duration: 2021-01-01–2022-12-31
- This project is funded by the European Union. Official EU website: europa.eu
- Total project size is 785 875.00 EUR. Out of them co-funding of European Regional Development Fund is 667 993.75 EUR
- The Interreg V-A Latvia – Lithuania Cross Border Cooperation Program 2014-2020 aims to contribute to the sustainable and cohesive socio-economic development of the Program regions by helping to make them competitive and attractive for living, working and visiting. Program website: latlit.eu
- The contents of this information are the sole responsibility of Raudondvaris Manor and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the European Union.